Attack Points For Self Defense
When someone is attacked by a larger person who is taller, heavier or stronger; my automatic “go to” is to use attack points to increase the chances of escape.
Attack points are simply pressure points on the human body, that when struck, pinched, rubbed or gouged, cause intense pain, disrupting the attackers assault; increasing your chances of escape.
The human body is a wonderful gift, however, there are over 700 pressure points that you can cause pain.
For my students, we focus on 15 to 30.
For people without any martial arts experience, I limit my discussion to just 5. These are simple points that are easy to remember and regardless of your height, size or weight, one of these points can be used in an assault, allowing you to break free.
Of course, these aren’t the most deadliest, and someone else may have a different 5, but I have found over the years, for beginners, this is the best list to focus on.
Here’s my top 5:
- The eyes – you can slap, gouge, poke, spray a chemical directly into the eyes causing pain and temporary blindness in that one eye. The nice thing about this attack point is when you injure one eye, the other eye tends to water as well. The other great thing about this point is if you get lifted up (especially a child being carried) you can still attack the eyes. Lastly, you can attack the eyes, even in the case of sexual assault and you have found yourself on the ground.
- The nose – the nose is made of cartilage, therefore it is fairly easy to break. You can strike, slam, pull, or pinch the nose to cause considerable pain. You can also rip off a nose ring or jam a pencil up into a nostril. As a secondary benefit, a hard strike to the nose, often causes the eyes to water to, which can be disorienting to the attacker.
- The groin – this is a good attack point, but most women assume it’s the “holy grail” of attack points. The truth is, it’s not always easy to connect a good strike to the groin, because men are conditioned at birth to protect that area. Sure, you can kick or punch, but the most effective way to cause pain would be to grab and twist the genitals. That’s the most effective way of causing tremendous pain.
- The knees – the knees are great because they are easy to reach. The best method is kicking the knees from the front or the sides. If you kick from the back, you may temporarily stop them, but you won’t hurt them. If you strike from the front, you can create a hyper-extension of the knee. If you kick from either side, you can potentially cause ligament damage which makes walking more difficult.
- The toes – the ideal way to cause pain on the toes is to stomp them with your heel. The idea is you want to try and break as many toes as possible.
These are my recommended 5 for beginners.
If you notice, regardless of your height, you should be able to attack at least 3 of these points either standing up or even laying down.
From a self defense perspective, you keep attacking as many points as hard as possible so that your attacker has no choice but to let you go and tend to his pain.
Check out our new student trial by clicking here:
Sensei Chris Feldt is the owner and chief instructor of Samurai Karate Studio, a leadership academy located in Northeast Columbia, South Carolina. His school teaches karate to children and adults ages 4 and up. SKS specializes in self-defense, anti-bullying, stranger danger and character and leadership development.
Mr. Feldt was an adjunct professor at the University of South Carolina for college credit in karate and self-defense. Samurai Karate Studio has been recognized as a leader in martial arts instruction by being honored with the Best of Columbia Award for martial arts instruction for 8 consecutive years in a row.
Sensei Feldt is a certified instructor for group and personal protection training. SKS offers Active Shooter Training, Real Estate Safety, 10 Week Self Defense Academies, Bully Workshops, and Child Safety Camps.
We also provide corporate safety training.
Sensei Feldt has been a guest speaker in the Richland 2 School District covering school talks on stranger danger, anti-bullying strategies, kindness, and making good choices. He is available for both private and corporate self-defense seminars
Samurai Karate Studio is also a proud member of MAAB, Martial Artists Against Bullying, a nationwide program made
up of martial arts schools throughout the country that are committed to helping children who are victims of bullying. If you or someone you know is being bullied, we are here to help. But, you have to take the first step and either call us at [email protected]or email us at:
Bullying is one of the most serious issues we face today and with the right coaching, students can learn how to defeat the bully using non-violent strategies.
Sharing Is Caring
Have we earned your confidence and trust?
If we have and deserve it, would you please consider writing us a review on Google, Facebook and/or Yelp?
Here is the Link: Samurai Karate Studio Google Review
Here is the link: Samurai Karate Studio Facebook Review
(And while you are there, don’t forget to LIKE our page!)
Of course, if you are a member of one of our self defense or martial arts programs, you can easily post a review through our exclusive Samurai Karate Studio app right off your smart phone.
I humbly thank you for the reviews – Sensei Chris Feldt
Want To Learn More About Our Programs?
You can check out our kids program here: SKS Kids
Learn more about our amazing adult program here: SKS Adults
We even have a preschool program for your little ones: Little Samurai
We also offer group and private training in self defense: Self Defense