I received this note from one of my parents and had to share it with you because it really sums up what I believe the martial arts is truly all about.
Sensei, one of my friends asked me the other day “Why do you pay so much money and spend so much time running around for your child to do the martial arts?”.
After thinking about it for a few moments I responded back, “Well I have a confession to make: I don’t pay for my child’s martial art lessons. Or her uniform, gloves & shin guards.
He said, “What do you mean?” “If you are not paying for martial arts then what are you paying for?”
I responded, “I pay for those moments when my girl becomes so tired she feels like quitting but doesn’t…..
– I pay for the opportunity that my girl can have and will have to make life-long friendships….
– I pay for the chance that she may have amazing instructors that will teach her that martial arts are not just about self-defense and movement but about life….
– I pay for my child to learn to be disciplined….
– I pay for my girl to learn to take care of her body….
– I pay for my daughter to learn to work with others and to be a proud, supportive, kind and respectful team member….
– I pay for my child to learn to deal with disappointment, when she doesn’t get that belt or tip she hoped for or fell during a move she has practiced a thousand times, but still gets up and is determined to do her BEST next time….
– I pay for my girl to learn to make and accomplish goals….
– I pay for my daughter to learn that it takes hours and hours and hours and hours of hard work and practice to create a champion and that success does not happen overnight….
– I pay so that my daughter can be in the studio instead of in front of a screen….
I could go on but, to be short, I don’t pay for martial arts….
I pay for the opportunities that martial arts provide my child to develop attributes that will serve her well throughout her life and give her the opportunity to bless the lives of others for many, many years.
I think it is a great investment!
One of the best ways to protect yourself, is to train with a certified martial arts school. Over time, you will be become more empowered and know how to protect yourself from most dangerous situations.
Check out our new student trial by clicking here:
Sensei Chris Feldt is the owner and chief instructor of Samurai Karate Studio, a leadership academy located in Northeast Columbia, South Carolina. His school teaches karate to children and adults ages 4 and up. SKS specializes in self-defense, anti-bullying, stranger danger and character and leadership development.
Mr. Feldt was an adjunct professor at the University of South Carolina for college credit in karate and self-defense. Samurai Karate Studio has been recognized as a leader in martial arts instruction by being honored with the Best of Columbia Award for 5 consecutive years in a row.
Sensei Feldt has been a guest speaker in the Richland 2 School District covering school talks on stranger danger, anti-bullying strategies, kindness, and making good choices. He is available for both private and corporate self-defense seminars
Samurai Karate Studio is also a proud member of MAAB, Martial Artists Against Bullying, a nationwide program made up of martial arts schools throughout the country that are committed to helping children who are victims of bullying. If you or someone you know is being bullied, we are here to help. But, you have to take the first step and either call us at 803-462-9425 or email us at: email@example.com.
Bullying is one of the most serious issues we face today and with the right coaching, students can learn how to defeat the bully using non-violent strategies.